A Day in the Life, 2012

Last year I shared a Day in the Life post.  The dynamic of my work day changes a bit with my son here.  He arrived in January and I took that month off from writing.  He is here until early July this year, when his father will pick him up for the rest of the summer and early fall.  Then he comes back around mid-October to spend the holidays with us. 

Next year will be a tad chaotic, since we PCS back to the U.S. once and for all, but I'm the kind of person who plans in advance, while still leaving myself open to the need to be flexible. 

For the rest of spring and early summer, my days look like this:

6 a.m. Hubby's alarm goes off (on weekends, I still manage to wake up at this time without his alarm).  Groggily reach over to bedside table for thermometer.  Take temperature.  Commit number to memory.  Go back to sleep.

7:30 a.m.  Wake up.  Eat breakfast.  Chart my temperature.  Check email, Facebook, blogs, forums, and open TweetDeck for the day.  Let the caique out of his cage for the morning.  Soothe plaintive kitty mews with pettings (our cats are not allowed in our bedroom at night, because my feline-loving husband is allergic).

9:00 a.m.  Get dressed and let the homeschooling begin: math, science, history, grammar, spelling, writing, literature, nature study, art, music, and French!  I don't teach every single subject every day of the week.  We have a schedule of roughly 6 subjects each day, and Friday.  I think the subject I enjoy teaching most is science - especially evolution, biology and earth science.  It's so hands-on.

11:00 a.m.  Do dishes, clean (I created a chore schedule - makes life so much easier), and prepare lunches for everybody - caique, cats, and humans.  I allow my son to play on my computer for one hour.  Of course, he's a normal 9-year-old who wants to get into games like TF2 and Left 4 Dead 2.  Some parents allow their children to play games geared toward teenagers and adults, but we do not.  He's permitted to play Minecraft and anything rated E and E10+. 

If it's a Thursday, we have a homeschool meet-up every other week.  If it's a Wednesday on the alternating week, we go bowling.  :)

12:30 p.m.  Run errands twice a week, or work out and shower.  We're a one-car family now, so I walk everywhere.  There are some mornings where I've managed to get something writing-related done, but I don't stress about it.  Mornings are fairly relaxed.

2:00 p.m. Let the caique out of his cage.  Settle in to write, edit, beta-read, proofread - whatever needs to get done.  I have a list of goals for the year, and I also handle things as they come to my email. 

3:00 p.m. Send my son outside to play with his friends in the neighborhood or at the Youth Center on base. 

5:30 p.m.  Put the caique back in his cage.  Make dinner.  After 3 1/2 hours of writing or reading, I'm definitely ready for a break.  However, my husband loves to cook, so I only make dinner about 50% of the time each week, which is pretty cool.

6:30 p.m.  Wash dishes while my son calls his father.

7:00 p.m.  Let the caique out of his cage for about an hour.  Back to writing or, if I met my goal for the day, I indulge in some Minecraft. 

9:00 p.m.  Put my son to bed.  Again, my husband handles this 50% of the time, so there are some nights when I get to just stay at my laptop and keep working or playing.

10:00 p.m.  Get ready for bed with my husband, and play our nightly Rummy game.  Our score is in the thousands.  After a game or two, we read for about a half-hour or so.

11:00 p.m.  Lights out.  Close my eyes, relax and get ready to do it all again tomorrow.

Saturdays are devoted to food shopping and D&D.  Sundays are quite lazy, and that's when I tend to focus on genealogical research.

Of course, this isn't a perfect schedule of how our days go.  It's just a very basic idea of what life is like here.  It feels like a pretty healthy balance of family, taking care of myself (getting my exercise and eating well are important to me), having fun, and doing the work I love.

Copyright (c) 2011 Wendy L. Callahan

No comments:

Post a Comment